Saturday, March 16, 2013

Where do we go from here?

In a blink of an eye, yes I will be graduating from NTU, completed my studying phase of life..and on to the next chapter...Well actually, its a bottle of mixed feelings..I am happy for the fact that I will be graduating, but at the same time, jitters are running through my spine..The next question that came straight to my mind, 'where do I go from here?'

Last semester of sch has been rough on me..and I could barely have the time to look into jobs. Friends have been attending interviews, sending resumes etc..I haven't. The only thing I'm able to complete by now is my resume section in the careers.gov.sg website. Have I been cheating to myself that 'nope, I will still definitely have time to find a job even after I graduate' Guess the hard truth is, it's never easy finding a job nowadays.

Graduating out of a Science degree cohort, my results was never glamorous to look at. People have been telling me it's good enough to graduate with just a degree, a passing phase in life. But for the science industry, I guess it wasn't the case. In sciences, the industry is realistic. Either you get good grades and honors and you secured the job, or you're out. Alot of the govt bodies under the sciences division are living example proofs. It scares me with my degree, where can I go from here?

Finding a job, sending resumes, securing a interview (this already scares me), passing them and congrats to getting a new job? This pathway seems remote to me at the moment. I had part time jobs before, but I have long lost the fear or nervousness during an interview. The tackiness to answering typical interview questions, and worse if some came with scientific technical questions (cause seriously I returned all information back to the school once I'm done with them), it's tough just by imagining it.

I have been well protected at least from the working world, by family, friends and bf. Places that I have worked in previously were places where I had connections with. It's like I never had to worry I won't be able to work there. Having a science degree, I really did not know if I had made the right choice 4 years back.

Having seen the reality in life, where friends with good honors went on securing jobs in govt sector, it hit on me as to where can I go? Am I able to get out of my comfort zone, to seek the courage to face whatever that hits on me when I graduated? People once told me, I'm too naive at my age, and I won't be able to survive in the working world. The working world will never be how like a studying student will imagine cause all these while we were well protected by people around us. We never ever got reprimanded once when we make a mistake, there will always be people covering it up cause we are 'students'.

I really do hope I can seek enlightenment soon..what type of job suits me, what type of job that I'm looking for..I really hope I have all the courage needed to step out to secure that first job in life. I need to stop procrastinating and put things to action. I really hope soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment